1K 1H Challenge

eliza

This morning I participated in a 1K1H challenge on Twitter with a couple of other writers.  (1K1H = 1000 words in 1 hour) I’ve done 10K in a week challenges, National Novel Writing Month’s 50K in a month, but I cannot remember every doing one in an hour. I REALLY enjoyed it!

I ended up with 1919K, and the other writers who participated also wrote over 1K in that hour of time. I was motivated to write because others were writing at the same time–and I didn’t want to be the one who came back with low numbers either… lol. I admit the challenge spurred my fingers and my muse!

Have you ever participated in a 1K1H challenge?

Here is what I propose:  If you are up to it!  Today at 1PM EST, I am going to do a 1K1H challenge here on Happy Endings. We will keep track in the comments section, and I will post a big “GO”.  When 1 hour has passed, I will write, “STOP”

In that one hour, sit your but down at the computer and WRITE.  If you can’t do the whole hour start with us, and leave a comment when you had to stop, but at least WRITE.

To prepare, make sure you have your document up. Know what scene you want to work on. Have all your notes, resources, etc… ready, so you don’t have to stop to find something — or do what I do — I put in () what I need to find later and highlight it, so I don’t have to stop writing.

Let’s see if we can’t bust out a ton of words together!

See you at 1pm EST.

Cheers!

Eliza

Eliza Knight is the multi-published author of sizzling historical romance and erotic romance. She is the owner of the blog, History Undressed, and was recently featured in The Wall Street Journal as a self-styled expert on historical undergarments. Visit Eliza at www.elizaknight.com

Author:

13 Comments

1. Silver James
    July 21, 2011 at 7:15 am

I’m in! I do the #1k1hr on Twitter as often as I can and often instigate it. In fact, I’m getting ready to do one in a few minutes, after I start a load of laundry. I had dental surgery on Tuesday after breaking a molar on Sunday night so I am WAAAAAY behind on the current project. I need at least 3K words today.

I’ll see you at 1:00 EST!

2. Sidney Ayers
    July 21, 2011 at 7:24 am

Oooh…. count me in!!

3. Loni Lynne
    July 21, 2011 at 8:55 am

I’m in! What a great challenge!

No editing right–just writing?

Hugs!

4. Eliza Knight
    July 21, 2011 at 9:43 am

15 minutes until the challenge begins!!!

5. Camryn Rhys
    July 21, 2011 at 9:52 am

I also do the #1k1hr a LOT on Twitter and think it’s the absolute awesomesauce. I’ll see you all there, I guess. :) In eight minutes…

6. Eliza Knight
    July 21, 2011 at 10:00 am

GO!

7. Eliza Knight
    July 21, 2011 at 11:03 am

STOP!!!

Phew! And we’re done! I ended with 1470 words. What about you all?

8. Silver James
    July 21, 2011 at 11:06 am

Yay! Congrats, on the great word count.

I didn’t get the chance to #1k1hr on Twitter this morning after all, but for the challenge here, I managed 1,405 words! I need to double that number so I’ll be “sprinting” again later this afternoon but I’ll post to twitter when I do.

Thanks for the challenge, Eliza! And yes, I’m exclamation point happy today! LOL

9. Eliza Knight
    July 21, 2011 at 11:08 am

lol Silver!!!!! I love exclamation points!!!!!!

Great job on the word count! This was my second sprint today, and now I’m done. I managed a total word count today for 3389, so I’m pleased. If I keep it up, I should be done with the book by Aug 5th.

keep up the great writing!

10. Loni Lynne
    July 21, 2011 at 11:15 am

Sorry, I had to go pick up daughter from work.

I did manage just over 1,000 at 1,069! Can’t wait to do this again!

11. Laurie Ryan
    July 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Congrats to all of you. I didn’t see this post until I got done with my writing, but I got in 1,500 words today, so that’s a good day for me, too.

12. Beth Caudill
    July 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Eliza

I did a few #1k1h times in May when Savvy Authors had their bootcamp. I did make a few or got close on a few. I enjoyed it.

But right now summer is here and kids are at home. Getting that 1 hour of uninterrupted time is not happening right now. I can’t wait for school to start and spend some more time #1k1h.

13. Jeannie Ruesch
    July 25, 2011 at 11:23 am

What an awesome idea! I wish I could have participated…maybe if we do an evening hour or a weekend one next? :)